It’s obvious that runners love their treadmills. What about an elliptical or trainer? The entry-level NordicTrack FS10i is the NordicTrack FreeStride trainers model. It has a small footprint and can be used in a home gym. The FS10i is a multi-purpose machine that can be used as a treadmill or elliptical and also as a trainer. The next model in the series, the FS14i (also known as 3-in-1 units), has a larger screen of 14 inches and more resistance levels. Both machines are the same size.
Trainers are popular because of the low-impact nature and high-intensity training. A treadmill’s cushioning system can still create a pounding sensation. However, a trainer glides smoothly and allows for a more comfortable workout. The Bowflex Max Trainer series of machines is probably the most comparable to the NordicTrack FreeStride Trainers. We’ve reviewed it here. A big selling point for FS10i is its one-year iFit family membership plan. This helps to reduce the sticker price of $2,499 by being valued at $396. You can read our iFit review here. iFit-enabled machines can be used to participate in live training sessions. Professional trainers adjust resistance levels and lead classes. iFit members can access an ever-expanding list of classes and programs, ranging from High Intensity Interval Training to yoga. Google Maps technology is also featured in the program, which allows runners to travel anywhere on Earth using interactive scenery via the FS10i’s 10-inch Smart HD Touchscreen.
The FS14i has a 14-inch screen with 26 levels of Silent Magnetic Resistance at a cost of $3,299, while the FS10i comes with a 10-inch screen along 24 levels. Each machine has a 32-inch adjustable stride and a 20 pound center drive. The FS10i offers a 10% incline function and the FS14i offers both 10% incline or decline.
NORDICTRACK FREESTRIDE TRAINER FS10I TREADMILL – KEY SPECS:
Star Rating: 4.8-stars
Running Area: n/a
Top Speed: n/a
Weight Capacity: 375 LBS
Dimensions: 58.5″ L x 29.5″ W x 74″ H
Built-In Programs: iFit
What We Like:
– Low Impact: The FS10i, like all FreeStride Trainers is a great option for those who want to get fit without putting too much strain on their knees.
– Bluetooth Audio Capabilities: The FS10i has two digitally amplified speakers that can be used in conjunction with a Bluetooth heart rate monitor.
– Multi-purpose: The FS10i is a 3-in-1 machine that can be used as a stepper or elliptical and even a bit of a treadle.
– Long Stride :The FreeStride FS10i has a 32-inch adjustable stride that allows for nearly twice the stride as a traditional elliptical. It can be used by a variety of users, and it can also accommodate different types of exercise.
– Quiet: There are 24 levels in Silent Magnetic Resistance that are quiet and smooth.
– Automatic Inline: The FS10i offers a 10% power incline. The machine can adjust automatically to make the iFit outdoor workouts and Google Maps trails seem more real.
– Touchscreen: The 10-inch touchscreen is not the largest on the market but it’s enough for virtual training.
– Pedals: These large, cushioned pedals are great for long workouts.
– iFit enabled: The purchase includes one year of the IFit Family Membership.
– High Weight Capacity: The FS10i can support up to 375 pounds.
– Compact: The FS10i measures just 58.5 inches x 29.5 in x 74 in and is ideal for small home gyms.
– Warranty: This machine comes with a 10-year guarantee for the frame, two-years for parts and one year labor.
What we don’t like:
– Resistance: The 20-pound flywheel might be the best choice for beginners to elliptical training.
– Stride: Although the stride length can be adjusted, it can be difficult to make the change when you are actually working out. It is best to stick with one style of workout per session.
The NordicTrack FS10i elliptical is a great entry-level elliptical that also offers a strong live training program. The machine is ideal for anyone who wants to combine strength and cardio training. The FS10i is a better machine than the FS14i, considering the difference in price for similar machines. If the extra 4 inches is a problem, you can still use this home unit in front of a smart TV set. Keep an eye on the entire treadmill alternative to help you choose the best one for your goal.
NORDICTRACK FREESTRIDE TRINER FS10I FAQS
What are the benefits of a trainer over other machines?
The trainer is a combination of elements from an elliptical, stepper, and treadmill. It can provide a great workout for cardio and strength, depending on how it is used.
Are trainers safer those machines else?
Safety is always a concern when you exercise at home. Trainers are made with safety and comfort as a priority. This is especially true if there is less stress on joints or tendons.
Do I need an internet connection to use a trainer?
It is not necessary, but trainers who are more interactive these days use online apps and virtual programming.